Ladies and Gentlemen, its the time you have all been waiting for. The opening game of the 2009 NFL regular season.
Two teams with a history of great games will be facing off tonight at 8:00 est. The Pittsburgh Steelers and Tennessee Titans fought every year while they were in the AFC Central together. Bitter rivals until the division split, the teams now face each other in what could be the preview of the AFC Championship game.
Last time these two teams met, Tennessee came away with a 31-14 win. The biggest difference between the two games is this time the game is held in Pittsburgh.
Here is what each team will need to do in order to win this game.
- Establish the run- Tennessee stuffed the Steelers in the last meeting. If the Steelers want to win this game they have to get the ground game going.
- Contain Chris Johnson- So its nearly impossible to completely stop the Titans running game, so the Steelers have to try and keep his runs to 3 or 4 yards max.
- Get Pressure on Kerry Collins- Collins was only sacked six times last season. If he has time to throw he can get it to his receivers. The Steelers have got get to him quickly.
- Keep Ben Roethlisberger Clean- The Titans sacked Big Ben five times in the last meeting. And that was without Albert Haynesworth. The Steelers can’t let that happen again if they want to win.
- Contain Ben Roethlisberger- Everyone knows if Big Ben has time to scramble around, he WILL make plays. So the Titans have to contain him and get pressure on him.
- Protect the ball- In the last game they were in, the Titans gave up four turnovers. They can’t do this if they want to win.
- Establish a passing game- If Kerry Collins can’t establish a passing game the Steelers will just keep eight or nine in the box to prevent Chris Johnson from doing anything.
- Take some shots downfield- The Titans have got to make the Steelers at least believe they are willing to take shots downfield. This will keep them honest and open up the run game even more.
Well kickoff is right around the corner. Please join me as I will be covering the game as its happening.
- 8:01 EST: Black Eyed Peas starting off the NFL Season. Pretty Sweet!
- 8:15 EST: So here is the regular season at our doorstep. I’m ready for this game to start. Here comes Tim McGraw
- 8:30 EST: I hope everyone is ready, because the season is about to start… and with a fantastic game at that. Good luck to both sides and here we go!
- 8:32 EST: Random thought: How do you get the job setting up the fireworks show at the opening game of the NFL Season?
- 8:40 EST: Mike Tomlin, “We are not defending a championship, we are pursing a championship.” Very classy.
- 8:41 EST: Nate Washington in uniform is a very good sign.
- 8:44 EST: Wow great 1st series. Steelers go 3 and out.
- 8:45 EST: Backed up by our endzone, we need some good runs right now!
- 8:46 EST: Way to get some breathing room.
- 8:48 EST: Slow start by both teams. This looks like the low scoring game everyone was predicting.
- 8:50 EST: So nothing but screens for the Steelers.
- 8:51 EST: HUGE SACK!!!! JASON JONES! Thats exciting.
- 8:55 EST: That sack was not Big Ben’s fault. The Titans gameplan has them stay on big bens outside so he can’t get outside the hashes. If he had thrown it it would have either been picked or intentional grounding.
- 8:57 EST: Watch it Polomalu, lets not try and hurt CJ.
- 9:00 EST: Ok, the guy who hits from 60 just missed from 37. This is a game of errors so far.
- 9:02 EST: Something you have never seen fromt he Titans in the last 10 years is an all out blitz!
- 9:06 EST: Stupid penalty. Get your head in the game OLine.
- 9:08 EST: Did Steeler fans just boo LenDale White… was it because of the towel stomping?
- 9:10 EST: Mental error by Collins. Don’t challenge Polomalu in the passing game.
- 9:14 EST: Very nice play by the backup safety.
- 9:16 EST: Thus far Titans have had 9 passes and 6 runs. Not like the typical Titans. The Steelers are 6 passes and 6 runs. And thats the end of the 1st quarter.
2nd Quarter Steelers: 0 / Titans: 0
- 9:24 EST: The Titans run D looks very good. There was nowhere to go for Parker.
- 9:27 EST: 2 holding penalties in a row for the Steelers. Even though the second one was questionable.
- 9:28 EST: 9 carries for 7 yards for the Steelers so far.
- 9:36 EST: Great grab by the rookie. Kenny Britt.
- 9:39 EST: Troy Polomalu is getting frustrated. What a bad facemask.
- 9:41 EST: This is ridiculous. They’ve got to grab some points. Bironas’ field goal was blocked which makes him 0-2 for the game.
2-minute warning: Steelers: 0 / Titans: 0.
- 9:50 EST: Steelers are in Titans territory. We need a huge play right about now.
- 9:51 EST: Two plays in a row absolutely no pressure on Ben Roethlisberger gets the Steelers up 7-0. They’ve got to step it up.
- 9:55 EST: Fantastic throw and catch from Collins to Britt. The Titans are right where they like to be.
- 9:56 EST: And the Titans answer right back. Collins to Gage for 14 yards. 7-7
End of Half Steelers: 7 / Titans: 7
Total Yards: 156 yds
Passing: 144 yds
Rushing: 12 yds
Total Yards: 208 yds
Passing: 164 yds
Rushing: 44 yds
Ok so looking at my keys to victory lets see how each team is doing.
Well here we go lets get back to the game!
3rd Quarter Steelers: 7 / Titans: 7
- 10:25 EST Terrible luck for Bo Scaife. I’m more worried about him than the fumble.
- 10:29 EST Great play by the Titans D. 4th down.
- 10:41 EST Questionable no-call on the fair catch by Finnegan. If he had fumbled that might have meant something.
- 10:45 EST Gay just made fun of LenDale White’s touchdown dance….
- 10:46 EST 2nd Illegal formation for David Stewart. Very Unfortunate.
- 10:47 EST Dropped pass by Justin Gage leads to a 4th down.
4th Quarter Steelers: 7 / Titans: 7
- 10:57 EST Bo’ Scaife is injured for at least this game. They are calling it a Knee Sprain. Hopefully its nothing more.
- 11:00 EST Bironas makes his longest field goal of the night (45 yards). Titans up 10-7.
- 11:06 EST Vincent Fuller is the 2nd Titan to be hurt this game.
- 11:11 EST Kearse was unblocked and lays a lick on Ben Roethlisberger.
- 11:15 EST Two straight short yardage stops leave the Steelers at 4th down. Steelers kick a field goal and tie it up 10-10.
- 11:20 EST Chris Johnson has been making some great blocks tonight. Not what you expect out of a speed back.
2-minute warning Steelers: 10 / Titans: 10
- 11:30 EST Hinez Ward Fumbles what could have been the nail in the coffin. Michael Griffin causes the fumble and Stephen Tulloch recovers.
- 11:32 EST David Stewert false start. His 3rd penalty of the game.
- 11:34 EST Overtime… so the flip of a coin decides this game.
- 11:36 EST Steelers win the toss. Bad luck for the Titans.
Overtime Steelers: 10 / Titans: 10
11:46 EST Barring a stupid play this game is over. It really makes me angry to have a cointoss win a game for you.
Current: Coming Soon!