We got a big NFC East showdown tonight in the nation’s capital, as the Washington Redskins and their juggernaut of an offense host the Philadelphia Eagles, or also known as the team that lost to the Raiders.
This is a big game for the Redskins, as they have to find ways to win home games, but it’s an even bigger game for the Eagles who are coming off of the horrible loss in Oakland last week. Plus, the Eagles have to keep pace with the Giants and the Cowboys in the division.
It should be an exciting one, except for maybe when the Redskins are on offense. But we’ll see. Join us tonight around 8:30 ET for live blog coverage of the game.
- 8:34 ET: Almost time for kickoff in the nation’s capital!
- 8:39 ET: Hank Williams Jr. is singing, which means it’s just about go time.
- 8:44 ET: One offense just scored, and I’ll give you a hint as to who it was. Desean Jackson with a huge play, and two minutes into the game, the Eagles have a 7-0 lead.
- 8:49 ET: Well the first play call worked. Let’s see if that continues.
- 8:53 ET: The offense couldn’t build any momentum after that first play. But that’s no surprise.
- 8:57 ET: Westbrook is down for the Eagles. Not good news there.
- 9:03 ET: It would be an understatement to say that the Skins need to get something going offensively.
- 9:06 ET: Westbrook is out for the game with a concussion. Not good if you’re an Eagle fan.
- 9:14 ET: Well that was a big hold there for the Skins. At least they kept Philly out of field goal range.
- 9:17 ET: Campbell is intercepted, and the Eagles return it easily for a touchdown. Make it 14-0, and for a team that can’t score, that’s not a good hole to be in.
END OF THE FIRST QUARTER - Eagles 14, Redskins 0
- 9:24 ET: What are the chances that Jim Zorn is fired next week? They are getting higher by the minute. Eagles pick up a fumble off of Campbell. Philly about to score again.
- 9:27 ET: Mike Vick with the completed pass. It looked pretty good too.
- 9:29 ET: Akers knocks down the long field goal, and the lead is extended to 17-0.
- 9:35 ET: This offense has to score soon, right?
- 9:39 ET: Call your friends! The Redskins just scored a touchdown! Someone get this on the breaking news ticker on ESPN or CNN! It’s 17-7!
- 9:43 ET: And the Skins get to Vick! Washington might actually have some momentum right now.
- 9:45 ET: As soon as I say that, Randle El muffs a punt return. Eagles ball with spectacular field position. Yeah, that isn’t Jim Zorn’s fault.
- 9:48 ET: Luckily the Skins hold to a field goal though. 20-7, Philly.
- 9:56 ET: We reach the two minute warning, with the Redskins defense doing pretty well right now.
- 9:58 ET: Ok, I’ll just stop saying nice things about this team. When I do, the Eagles get a huge play. Jackson with another touchdown, and they’ve blown this thing open to 27-7.
- 10:09 ET: The Skins at least get some points to end the half. It’s 27-10 at the half.
END OF THE SECOND QUARTER - Eagles 27, Redskins 10
Keys to the Second Half for the Redskins
1. Find Jackson. I have no idea how they’ve let this guy get out in the open so much tonight, but he might set an NFL scoring record if they don’t find him in the second half.
2. Protect Campbell. He’s got no time to throw the ball right now, and unless he gets more time, there’s no way they will get back in this one.
- 10:24 ET: Time to start the second half. Redskins need to score here to open up the half. Badly.
- 10:29 ET: Yeah, I’ve never been a fan of the third and long screen pass. You’re down 27-10. What do you have to lose?
- 10:36 ET:Well the defense gets great pressure there, but they can’t find the football on the ground. That’s the Redskins luck right there.
- 10:41 ET: Yet another third down play that isn’t the proper distance to gain a first down. I don’t get it.
- 10:45 ET: The Eagles only have six first downs, yet lead by 17. I guess that’s the definition of Redskins football this season.
- 10:48 ET: If you’re playing Jackson in fantasy this week, I feel really bad for you.
- 10:55 ET: Nice job by Fred Davis, as he’s stepping in for Cooley who has an ankle injury.
- 11:02 ET: The Skins might actually have good field position here. But taking advantage of that field position will be a whole other story.
END OF THE THIRD QUARTER - Eagles 27, Redskins 10
- 11:06 ET: Terrible punt by Rocca, so even better field position for Washington.
- 11:08 ET: Campbell gets sacked out of field goal range. Portis throws his helmet at the bench. It’s all falling apart for the Skins.
- 11:14 ET: There’s a sack for the defense. They’ve played well for the most part. Only really gave up two huge plays. The rest has been the offense’s fault.
- 11:21 ET: Man, the Eagles are getting a ton of pressure tonight.
- 11:25 ET: Skins can’t convert on a fourth and goal because their offense is terrible. Enough said. I honestly feel bad for Jason Campbell at this point.
- 11:34 ET: Campbell sacked again. Make that number six on the night.
- 11:39 ET: This second half has been terrible. We’ve reached the two minute warning. Redskins about to score? Let’s not get ahead of ourselves.
- 11:43 ET: The Redskins score a touchdown. A little late now. 27-17, Eagles.
- 11:45 ET: Washington can’t recover the onside kick, and they lose another win. Thanks for joining me on the live blog tonight everyone!
FINAL SCORE - Eagles 27, Redskins 17
Current: Coming Soon!